Monday, November 12, 2018

Water Oak?

I've got this tall oak tree in the front yard that makes very small acorns.  I call it a white oak, because that's what we call threes like this.  I can identify white oak, red oak, live oak, and post oak.

Eaton Rapids Joe emailed me recently and told me that he is looking for water oak acorns.  I never heard of a water oak, and wasn't sure quite what he meant.  Maybe we call it one thing in Louisiana, and they call it another in Michigan.

At any rate, here's the tree.


And  closer shot of the leaf structure.


And a small handfull of acorns.


Is that what you're looking for, Joe?  If so, I can probably find a couple of pounds.  The mast crop wasn't real good on that tree this year.

2 comments:

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

BINGO!!!

Old NFO said...

That's what 'I' know as a water oak too...