Thursday, November 15, 2018

Season's Change

We had the first frost of the season this morning, with temps in the high 20s.  One small now flurry yesterday, which is unheard of in central Louisiana in mid-November.  The season's are changing, and I've even put the liner in my duty jacket, which doesn't normally happen till after Christmas.

One other change, is that I've switched from my summer vodka/tonic to my winter bourbon and coke. Y'all know that I love whiskey, but believe in moderation in all things, except loving a good woman, which should be done enthusiastically.

My to-to, day-in-and-day-out whiskey for mixing with coke (or diet coke, in my case), is either Jim Beam white or Evan Williams, whichever strikes my fancy at the time.  But I buy it in the transmission size.  You know, the big bottle.  When you turn it on its side, it looks like a transmission.



When I was a young'un, whiskey came in several sizes.  half-pints, pints, fifths, and half-gallons.  Those were good, imperial measurements that everyone understood.    I haven't seen a pint of whiskey in a while, and I imagine that they're still available.  The last time I saw a pint of whiskey, the counter-guy at an old country store kept a case of pints of cheap gin under the counter to sell to the winos who wanted to mix gin with grapefruit juice.  He sold a lot of Tex-Sun grapefruit juice out of that store.  But I digress.

I still buy my good sipping whiskey in the smaller 750 ml bottles, but my mixing hooch is bought in the larger bottles.  I understand those larger bottles are 175 cl, whatever in the hell that means. (I know that it means 0.46 of a gallon, which ain't a half, and we're getting screwed, but that's the world we live in.

1 comment:

Old Grafton said...

"Whiskey. A young man's curse and an old man's comfort." I usually have a couple low-carb beers in the evening and chase 'em with a jigger or 2 (no more) of good Bourbon, or Rye, or StillHouse (legal)Moonshine. Takes the edge off, worn-out arthritic shoulders ease off, cares of the day recede, and all's right with the day.