Monday, November 05, 2018

Monday Update - Go Vote

Nothing much to report today.  I've been playing for the last hour with a new trail cam, the Stealth Cam PXP36NG, a no-glow camera that I bought today for a project.  I picked it up an hour ago at Academy Sports for less than the MSRP you see at the link.I just finished setup, which was kind of tricky, but YouTube videos will show you things that the instruction manual doesn't, so there's that.  I'm testing it right now and may or may not review it later.  I simply hope that it's easier to use than it was to set up.  I'm probably over-thinking it.  We'll see.

But, I've been doing some reading today about the upcoming election.  They don't know what the hell is going on.  Even Larry Sabato, over at the Crystal Ball, isn't sure.  He thinks that the Dems have a pretty good shot at a majority in the House, but that the Republicans will keep the Senate and maybe even puck up a few seats   But, he admits it's too early to tell, and all the pollsters are hedging their bets.  After the polling debacle that gave us President Hillary Trump,, the pollsters aren't real sure what the electorate is thinking.

Personally, I think that the US is redder than the pollsters measure.  I know that some times I'll answer a poll and screw with the pollster just for giggles.I suspect that a lot of people are doing the same things and that the only poll that matters is the one we'll participate in tomorrow.  Get out and vote.

If you're not sure who to vote for, pick the first (R) on the list and vote for him or her.  What very you do, don't vote for the Donks.  They don't deserve to hold power.  I'd love to see a red tsunami tomorrow night when the polls close.  It may be a pipe dream, but after the way the Donks acted during the Kavanaugh debacle, none of them showed any inclination at fairness.

For myself, tomorrow morning, I'm going to get up, drink coffee, then go out to the shop to cook breakfast.  I'm thinking huevos rancheros.  Then, put on my hat and go vote.  Afterwards, find a barber shop and get shorn.  Then, spend the rest of the day piddling.  I'm off tomorrow, and I intend to enjoy it.

1 comment:

Jonathan H said...

I just finished voting - straight R. The challenge was figuring out the 'non-partisan' offices like state and local judges. Fortunately for me, the state GOP sent out a flyer that covered local races as well as state wide.

I was disappointed to find that with just a name, my county website will give out not just when someone voted, but also their home address and date of birth - that sounds ripe for abuse by ne-er do wells!

I agree that polls are useless; I've read that most polls, which use computers and recordings, have a response rate under 2%; the good polls, which use live people, have response rates under 10%. With response rates that low, the people who answer are self selecting before the selection and data massaging done by the collectors... And that is before getting to the polls that are intended to find a specific answer!