Sunday, November 18, 2018

New Lawnmower

My old Craftsman lawn tractor has been showing it's age for a while, but I kept limping it along during this season.  I'm loath to spend money on a lawn mower., even thought in semi-tropical Louisiana, the mowing season is 8 months long.

Today, my sons presented me with a new (to me) lawn mower, ad I admit that it has a learning curve.  Second son has built a nice little part-time business buying used zero-turn mowers and refurbishing them.  He's learned the hydraulics, and he's always been a good small-engine wrench.

Elder son was using this one, but it really didn't suit his purposes, so he passed it on to me.  It's slow, but it's faster than the old Craftsman lawn tractor.


It's an old Cub Cadet zero-turn.  It's powered by a big Briggs, ad the boys have gone through it to make sure that everything works.  It needed a new battery and I put one in this afternoon then mowed the front yard with it.  It's going to take me some time to learn to do ditches, but once I figure out how to mow a straight line and a gentle curve, the ditches shouldn't be much problem at all.

Thanks, boys.  The old man appreciates it.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Beats the hell out a 21 inch Snapper push mower! :-) And good on them!

John in Philly said...

Friends of ours got a zero turn and my test drive showed there was a higher learning curve than expected.
And Old NFO got that part exactly right.