Sunday, November 11, 2018

Passing Them Down

My good friend Russel has asked the question of what is going to happen to your guns, especially the ones that you filly intend to pass down to family or friends.

A decade or so ago, I started paying attention to guns in pawn shops.  Used guns, mainly, that wind up on the shelves of second-hand shops.  And I realized that these once belonged to someone and that, for whatever reason, that person decided to convert them to cash.  The simple fact of mortality means that eventually I'll shrug off this mortal coil, and whatever I leave behind will become a problem for someone else.  There are things that I cherish that will mean absolutely nothing to the people who follow me.  I get it.

But, some cherished possession might mean something to a particular person, and it's my job to find that person.  To that end, I've been giving away guns.  I still have a pretty good battery, but I've given away ore guns in the last decade than I've bought in that decade.  Each of my offspring and most of my grandchildren have a gun I used at one time or another.

There are some that I won't give up till it's done, but if I get notice of my impending demise, I fully intend to leave this world having given away my guns, and other cherished possessions.  Hopefully, I 'll give them to the person who likes them as much as I do, but we never know; they might be taken to a pawn shop and converted to cash.  It may sound fatalistic, but it is what it is.

3 comments:

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

Very good post.

I drink coffee with old men and this is a topic that gets discussed on a regular basis.

With smaller families it often happens that the direct children don't have an interest in firearms or are just plain terrible at taking care of things that rust.

That is when we have to go further afield to find somebody who will cherish and use our tools.

Steve said...

May I suggest a "living trust". Here in Texas that means connecting with a lawyer (I realize that may be abhorrent for some folks). But, if you set up a living trust then the trust "owns" all of your stuff. You set up the trust so that a successor is named, so when you do get to the last round up; then the trust will continue.
Your state may vary, but here in Texas, yes, the trust owns all the stuff; but you get to "run" the trust and live off the fruits of the trust. Your spouse also gets to enjoy the bennies of the trust.
And once you pass; then in my case I have made my spouse the new trustee.....and she will continue to "run" the trust. At the point in which she passes away, heh, then it's her job to name another trustee.
The benefits of a trust; once you pass, you don't have to run your stuff through a probate court or a judge. The trust just keeps on keeping on. And then when my spouse passes; whomever she named won't have to run it through probate. The new named trustee just keeps on running the trust and benefiting from the stuff.
Here in Texas; I can name anyone to receive any item from my stuff and it's only a "gift" to that person. Or like a person in my family; you can keep them from getting anything.
Also, one really good benefit; when you are in need of a nursing home or skilled nursing; then medicare will pay for those services.....because you don't "own" anything.....the trust does.

Steve

Anonymous said...

Yes, no one has control over the person you gift items too. You hope you find a good home and that is all you can do.

Far better then turning them over to destruction by authorities.