Thursday, February 12, 2015

Cooker Update

Yesterday afternoon when I got home, I piddled with that old fish cooker.  I cut a piece of coat hanger wire and ran it through ll the holes, and through the gas/oxygen tube, cleaning out several years of rust and debris, then banged it all out on the patio.  Then took a few minutes to assemble the gas line parts I obtained yesterday.  After opening a beer I got ready to test the cooker.

Just an old, rusty fish cooker.
It's just an old rusty fish cooker, but it's got a lot going for it.  First of all, it was free.  Cost me nothing, because it came as a part of an auction deal.  I wanted the propane bottle it was hooked to.  Second, it's got a good base.  Third, that ring that keeps the pot on the burner.  Fourth, and this is what I was betting on, is that after I cleaned it up, it burns with a nice, clean, blue flame.  You can barely see it in the photo above, but I've got a better photo.

Clear, blue flame.  Almost invisible.
That's a pretty cooking flame and gives me great confidence that it will be a good cooker.  That little burner isn't as strong as my primary cooker, but this one will throw enough heat to fry fish, or french fries, or anything else I need to fry.  It's a convenient height, it's stable, and it's free.

I wonder what I'm going to clean cookers with when I run out of wire coat hangers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about a roll of electric fencing wire to clean the burner.