Wednesday, January 01, 2014

The Hunting Hat

A proper hunting hat is a very individual sartorial choice.  Based on individual needs, climate, terrain, and temperature, the hunting hat might simply be a billed baseball cap, or it might be a fur-lined cap with ear flaps, made of natural or synthetic materials.  For years I wore a standard baseball cap, but learned that I needed a brim that would keep rain off the back of my neck.  (Yes, folks, it rains in Louisiana.)  While I'm not apt to be out in the driving rain, I might certainly find myself in a sudden shower, or more likely in a misting rain.  I don't like ear flaps, generally because as I've approached my dotage, I've become increasingly more deaf.  I don't hear things that I used to hear, and I don't need anything covering my ears.  If it's that cold, I'm going to build a fire.

However, several years ago I found a hunting hat that suits me to a tee.  Right down to the core.  It keeps my head warm, is fairly stylish, and sets the proper tone for an old man in the woods.

It's some sort of outback hat, but the manufacturer's tag is lost to the ages.  It's in some sort of camouflage, which I don't find absolutely necessary, but which seems to be de rigeur for hunting hats.  Still, I wish I knew who made it, because I'd order a half-dozen in various colors or camo patterns.  Still, I understand that the hunting hat is a very individual choice.  For me, that outback is the proper hat.

7 comments:

jon spencer said...

Looks something like a Henschel 10 point hat.

Goatwhiskers said...

Know exactly what you mean. I have an old narrow brim felt hat, dark green, camo band, marked Sports Afield collection. It's dirty and sweat stained and it's my hunting hat. A friend told me the other day that he really liked it, says it has "character". Might be referring to the guy wearing it. GW

Old NFO said...

I have a boonie hat.. it works... :-)

Gerry N. said...

My favorite hunting hat is a 100% wool felt Effanem crusher. It spends most of it's time wadded up in my hunting stuff box, and three months on my head. It's water resistant, keeps water off my glasses and out off the back of my neck, it's warm, visisble for miles depending on fog and precipitation, and cost less than $5. It is also as rugged as cast iron but totally comfy. I also have crushers in olive drab, red and plain ol' brown. Good cheap hats.

Ed Jones said...

I have a hat that looks like yours. I bought it at Wall-Mart, the lable is Signatures Genuine Quality Since 1977.

Rivrdog said...

Old NFO +1. Boonie hat. However, an improvement on the standard ball cap has been made. It has a longer bill which covers a scoped rifle better than a boonie, and it has a neck flap to keep the sun and rain off (a French military invention). I have two different brands of these on my boat, not here. REI sells them, also Columbia Sportswear, if memory serves.

Anonymous said...

Filson out in Washington State. Not cheap but I love my Filson hats!!