Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Sleet

Now is the winter of our discontent.- Richard III, Act 1

The weatherman has been spot-on with the forecast.  I awoke this morning to signs of freezing rain, in that my car was frozen shut when I went outside to retrieve the blood-pressure meds that I picked up at the pharmacy yesterday.  Just about daylight the sleet started.

Some poor soul is creeping along, trying to get home.  That haze you see in the photo is tiny little balls of ice, falling from the sky.  The black asphalt road is white, and everything is slicker'n monkey-snot.  Milady is trying to decide if she needs to go to work.  She's a medical professional, and she'll call her doctors as we get closer to the workday.

There are those of us who don't get to stay home on wintry days.  Police, firefighters, doctors and nurses, soldiers in their foxholes and sailors on their ships.  Utility workers, the guys who keep the power coming, all those folks report for duty.  Work has to go on, and for those folks I am truly grateful.  PawPaw once had a job like that, rain or snow, or hurricane, the duty day rolled along.  I'm glad I'm beyond that duty schedule.

**UPDATE** Ten minutes later, the snow has started.  So far, the weather-weenies are spot-on.

Those white streaks in the photo are snow flakes.  Just frikking lovely.

**UPDATE II ** At 10:00 a.m., it's coming down heavy.


Jane is home, after her Docs closed the clinic.  We're hunkered down and ready to ride it out.  I've taken some meat out of the freezer, and later I'll be making a big pot of chili.

4 comments:

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

My oldest daughter called from Baton Rouge last night. She wondered at the crowded lots at Walmart on the way home from work. A co-worker texted her regarding her plans...that was the first she heard about it coming.

She was invited to spend the night at a friend's house whose husband is "very southern".

I asked what that meant. She told me that he hunts, fishes, camps and ferociously protects the womenfolk.

I told her going there sounded like a very good plan.

Melissa said...

I walked to work and back this morning to take care of the critters. I finally have a winter hardship story! I'll be 80 telling my grandkids that I walked to work in the snow both ways in the snowpocalypse of 2014.

Gerry N. said...

Melissa, you forgot that it was also 2 1/2 miles, 67 below, blowing 75MPH, windchill of Zero deg. K, chest deep and uphill both ways. Just the way it was when I had to go to school during the second grade.

And we liked it like that!

Gerry N.

Old NFO said...

Glad y'all are in and safe... Enjoy the Chili! :-)