Sunday, January 19, 2014

Hamburgers

No pictures of this one, but you've all seen a hamburger.  This morning early, I decided that I was hungry for a good hamburger, and it's Sunday, and the kids were coming over for lunch, and the weather was beautiful, so I decided to fire up the charcoal pit and cook burgers.

So, I made a list and headed to the grocers.  Buns, lettuce, tomato, some cheese for those who like it, and hamburger meat.  Good hamburger meat.  I was feeding ten people, kids, grandkids and Milady and I.  So, I bought 5 lbs of good ground chuck 80/20.  Got home and hand-flung those burgers, then coated them with a sprinkling of salt and pepper.  That was it.  The burgers averaged 1/3 pound.  I cut up the tomato, and an onion, then started the fire. Let it burn for an hour, to get a good bed of coals.  Then, just about noon, I put that meat on the grill.  Closed the lid, watched the smoke pour out of it.  After about 10 minutes, raised the lid, flipped the burgers, closed the lid again.  Ten more minutes, then lined the kids up to get a burger.

Those who wanted to experiment decided to put a slice of cheese on the burger while it waited the last minutes on the grill.  We had American and Provolone.  I'm told that melted provolone is really good on a hamburger.

A good bun, fresh veggies, and good meat, cooked on a hot charcoal fire.  Nothing on the meat but salt and pepper.  A nice handful of potato chips, and I opened a cold beer.  That was the best darned hamburger I've eaten in a while.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, plain old burgers are HARD to beat :-)

Melissa said...

Thanks for a lovely Sunday, PawPaw!

Termite said...

Burgers and beer. Don't get better than that.