Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Salmon Croquettes

Today I had a yearning flung on me, so on the way home I stopped to pick up the fixings for one of my favorite foods from my childhood.  Salmon Croquettes.  Momma used to fix these occasionally, and I loved them then, I love them now.  They're fairly easy.



Salmon Croquettes
1 can pink salmon - 14.75 oz
1 roll Ritz crackers
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 large egg
Salt and pepper, of course

In a large bowl, crush the whole roll of Ritz crackers.  Powder them.  Add the salmon, the chopped onion and the egg.  Salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.  Divide the mixture into six portions and form into patties.  Fry in a flat skillet with a little oil until golden brown.

I'm going to serve them tonight with potatoes au gratin and steamed broccoli.

Friends from the PacNorWest might turn their noses up at canned salmon, but it's easy to find here, inexpensive, and with just a little preparation makes a darned fine meal.

6 comments:

Prairie Patriot said...

This sounds awesome. I'm going to give it a whirl this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Love them. Goes well with mac and cheese and some corn also. One of the few times I lioke mac and cheese.

Ben

Old NFO said...

Yum... Good old Louisiana recipe there! :-)

Gerry N. said...

I live in Salmon Country. Grew up in Canned Salmon Country. Mom called those "Salmon Patties". Delicious made with canned salmon, exquisite made with left over baked fresh salmon. A treat fit for royalty. Mom used half soda crackers and half Ritz.

Rivrdog said...

Au contraire, we love canned salmon here. Most of us grew up on it as kids, it used to be as cheap as tuna.

BTW, canned fish is excellent food if you have to diet. Easy to control portions and calories, and you get a ton of protein.

zdogk9 said...

We don't turn our noses up at canned salmon. I put up 48 pints of silvers last season, and buy a can of red salmon from time to time. Tonight's my turn to cook, thanks for the inspiration.