Friday, January 31, 2014

Finally Friday

It's Friday again, and we've actually thawed out.  All the bridges are open, all the traffic is moving, and the temps warmed up to the 60s.  Today at noon, I put my jacket in the car and wandered around with shirt-sleeves the rest of the day.

After work, I drove to Academy Sports because my daughter wants hot-pink shooting muffs for her birthday.  I found those then went to the counter and asked about .22LR.  The guy gave me two 50-round boxes.  Remington Thunderbolt .22LR at $2.29 per box.  That's just over 4.5 ¢ per shot, not bad at all.  All those guys who bought all they could buy at exorbitant prices, and hoarded it, are learning that .22 ammo is a commodity, and the price rises and falls with the market.  Just like speculating in gold, or land, or diamonds,  the price rises and falls based on supply, on demand, and on manufacturing.  We still can't buy bricks of it at the local hardware store, but it's available.  I walked past the centerfire counters and they were well stocked as well.

Ih another hour, Milady and I are heading to the auction.  The owner of the auction house got his license problems sorted out, and tonight is the first auction since before Christmas.  I'm looking forward to it.  We'll see what is on the block.  I love a good auction, and I'm not looking for anything in particular, but it's always fun to see what he's put up for sale.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Good price! We STILL can't get any up here... sigh

Gerry N. said...

A few years ago the Big5 stores locally had coupon specials twice a month for .22 bulk ammo, mostly Rem. Thunderbold or CCI Blazer for $9.95 per 525 round box. Every time they did it I scrounged the neighbors for the coupons out of their Sunday papers and bought 2K+ rounds for a measly $40.

I still look back fondly at the time when I bought Federal Monark standard velocity .22LR for $2.95 per 500 rounds. .38 Spec. wadcutter practice loads were $1 a hundred, but had to be used there. There being the Seattle PD Recreational Gun Range.

Gerry N.

Anonymous said...

Call corporate. They are definitely hoarding the bulk ammo, some for new gun purchases. I called and the customer service rep called my local store, and said there were over 40 BucketoBullets in stock. I had gone in just 10 minutes before and they said they had nothing. I had gone religiously every weekday for a month, and all they had were the 100 round limit of Thunderbolts 3 times that whole month.