Sunday, January 09, 2011

Wintry mix

The weather weenies are calling for a wintry mix of sleet and ice tonight across Central Louisiana.

Lovely, just lovely. We're not equipped for ice and if it comes, tomorrow will quickly become a disaster.


Unlike most of my readers, this part of the country is ill-equipped for winter weather that includes frozen water. We've got no salt trucks and darned little capacity to spread sand on bridges and overpasses. Although the highway guys try, we're just not equipped for this sort of thing. Luckily, when it does occur, it melts quickly. Everything comes to a grinding halt for four or five hours, then it melts and we go about our business, telling horror stories about a little ice on the bridges.

Would anyone like to take bets that schools will be closed tomorrow? You can bet that I'll be listening to the radio before I pull my boots on in the morning.

2 comments:

bluesun said...

On the one hand, I would want to poke fun at the school administration for canceling over a mere skiff of snow, but on the other hand, I don't want to be reading about how some ill-prepared bus driver rolled it into a ditch and killed a load of third-graders.

Probably best to play it safe, in an area where "ice" is a foreign word.

Old NFO said...

I'd agree with Bluesun... I talked to a buddy up in Texarkana, they've got 5 inches and a BUNCH of wrecks...