Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Circle of Life

This afternoon we lost my father's brother. Dennis Hymes Dezendorf was my dad's older brother and he passed away this afternoon. I was named for him. He loved motorcycles more than anyone I knew and he and my Aunt spent many a vacation riding across this great land on his Honda Goldwing. He'll be missed by his children, grandchildren and all the nieces and nephews he left behind.

A couple of hours later and in another wing of the very same hospital that watched over Uncle Dennis, my newest grandson was welcomed into the world. Lucas Matthew Dezendorf came into the world today at 5:45 p.m. He weighed 5 lbs, 14 oz and is a healthy, crying baby with a head full of hair.


So, we mourn on the one hand and celebrate on the other. That's what life is all about.

**UYPDATE Thursday** I got a call from my sister this morning that Uncle Dennis had not passed away yesterday. He's still in ICU, and there's not much hope, but as they said about Mark Twain; reports of his demise are premature. Evidently, in this piddling blog journalism, as in all jounalism, it pays to check your sources. I'm awfully embarrassed about this.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I am sorry for you loss.
As you say - there is no life without death and no death without life. A perfect circle.
Wishing your grandson a long and wonderful life.

Hobie said...

We are so sorry for your loss. I've no doubt that your uncle was a big part of your life and I know you will miss him.

However, as you said, congratulations and best wishes to all on the occasion of the birth of your grandson.

Retired Spook said...

The best of all possible situations under the circumstances; Offering condolences for your loss, and congratulations for your new grandchild.

Old NFO said...

Thoughts and prayers for the family for BOTH... Condolences for the loss of your Uncle, best wishes for the newborn!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

Your blog was "semi" correct in the passing of dad. In our hearts we do believe he passed away Sunday night....we just wanted to keep him around for a few extra days. your mom was a godsend for us this week in the ICU waiting room. she can fill you in!