Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Bel Takes A Victory Lap

 Yesterday, a federal judge in New Orleans declined to get involved in the Covid restrictions in Louisiana.  His decision stemmed from a suit brought by several bar owners who claimed that the Governor's restrictions were unconstitutional.  

The Governor, of course, is taking a victory lap.  From his Facebook page:

Today, Judge Martin L.C. Feldman in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana upheld restrictions on bars in the state as part of its efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Louisiana. The restriction is one of the critical mitigation measures put in place to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Louisiana to protect and save lives

He's pleased as punch.  The legislature gave him the authority to enact emergency measures, and by-God, he's enacting them.  And, the federal court said, basically, in layman's terms, that  these decisions are best left to elected officials who were democratically empowered, and were accountable to the people.  I understand the judges reasoning.  

It galls me that the Governor has the power, but the legislature gave it to him.  I have no doubt that Governor Edwards thinks he is doing the right thing.  That a federal judge agreed with  him makes it no less galling, and no less a restriction on freedom in Louisiana.

1 comment:

robert orians said...

I understand that the virus takes a great toll on just a few people and being 70 years old and a smoker I'm one of them probably but if I have to live in constant fear to the point I can't hug my Grand Babies I'm ready to go . I won't live in fear .