Wednesday, December 04, 2019

Virginia SB 16

I don't know if you've been paying attention, but the Virginia legislature is considering a draconian bill that would severely limit the gun rights of citizens in that state.
Virginia State Senator Richard Saslaw has introduced SB 16 in a prefile ready for 2020: it expands the definition of “assault weapons,” among other things. It also has no “grandfather” clause. Will it lead to confiscation? IF confiscation could even occur, considering gun owners in Virginia aren’t likely to roll over and give their guns back.
I haven't done a deep dive down the rabbit hole, but I was mildly curious, and find that one of the provisions is to limit pistols to 50 ounces, unloaded.  Like many of you, I know the fine distinction between a pistol and a revolver, but that 50 ounce limit got me to pondering, so I grabbed a handgun and headed for my decidedly un-calibrated scale.  Basic math tells me that 50 ounces is 3 lbs, 2 oz.

Ruger NM Blackhawk, .44 Special.  49 oz.
Well, that one passes, but certainly my RSB with the long barrel would bust 50 ounces.  You get the idea.  But, that's not the point.  The point is that I have several firearms that would fall under the ban.

This bill is about abrogating the 2nd Amendment.  It affects us all, and it is bigger than the infighting that we gunners do between ourselves.  It is not about who is "tactical" or who is a "Fudd".  It's not about who is the most pure on the 2nd Amendment, it is about basic civil rights.  It affects my guns, and it certainly affects your guns, and just because you may live in a gun-friendly state doesn't mean that you may not be affected.

If you want a perfectly righteous rant, I'd suggest that you listen to Colion Noir.



2 comments:

Dave said...

I don't own any revolvers, and I'm sure some of the big ones weigh in at over 50 oz.

The heaviest pistol I own is a CZ-97B, which is a big steel beast, and it only weighs in a 41.3, per the CZ website.

The only semi that I can think of that probably clocks in over the limit is the Desert Eagle. This bill is aimed squarely at pistol versions of the AR and AK. Especially the AR-15, since the advent of the Sig brace has made that a popular way to work around NFA SBR rules.

Termite said...

A S&WM500 revolver weighs 69 oz. Retails for $1300 plus. Hardly concealable.

But it would be illegal under VA's SB16.

Go figure.