Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Old Armor - The M4 Series Tanks

You're not going to get a full review of the M4 series tans, but I was watching a YouTube video on the vehicle and happened to notice the bumper number on the tank.  Turns out, it's the bumper marking for the 4th battalion, 37th Armor regiment, the very first armor outfit I was assigned to as a shavetail lieutenant.

Bumper marking at bottom left: 4-37 Armor.

I thought that was cool, so I'll embed the rest of the video in case anyone wants to learn about the M4 series tanks.  I was assigned to that unit in 1976-77 at Fort Knox KY.  My tank was bumper number C-26 and it was named Cap'm Crunch.  This tank has bumper number B-7, and frankly that number doesn't make any sense to me.  It may have made sense during WWII.

At any rate, here is the whole video.

3 comments:

Dave said...

There's a museum here in College Station called the Museum of the American GI that has a goodly collection of operational American military vehicles.

That collection used to include a halftrack bearing unit bumper numbers for C Co, 1st Bn, 6th Armored Infantry - my first unit as a new LT. (My tracks were C21 and C65. I have a painting by Ric Druet called "Taking Ground" that I bought for a couple of reasons 1) It's a rare piece that shows Bradleys, and 2) the Brad at the center of the painting is C21, my old bumper #.)

Flugelman said...

I went thru Four Deuce AIT at Ft Hood in '60 with A Co 37th Armor.

Peripatetic Engineer said...

My uncle was in the 743rd Tank Battalion and assaulted Omaha Beach 10 minutes ahead of the infantry. He was killed in July during the early days of the battle for St. Lo in an ambush set up by Das Reich Panzer Division. Thanks for the video.