Thursday, July 19, 2018

Update and Umgrade

Back during my college days, I worked for the phone company, back when there was only one phone company.  Like everyone else in my generation, there was the Bell System, or nothing.  Phones sat on desks or hanged on walls.

I existed like that for many decades, resisting the cellular revolution until I met Belle.  She insisted that I get a cell phone, and one day even went so far as to go to her provider (Century-Tel) and add a line to her account so that she might have me more firmly on a leash.  As time went on, and as things progressed and we got married, we kept a landline phone with the Bell System, until the charges got so exorbitant that it was simply extravagant.

We still have what passes for a landline these days, but it comes through our cable TV account.  We do enjoy the landline, mainly because through mergers and acquisitions, our cell provider was Verizon.  When we moved from in-town out to the suburbs in 2004, we noticed that our cell service was "spotty".  When I put on the metal roof in early 2007 that we had big problems with cell service inside.  No problem, we could just step out on the patio, or use the landline

But, when we built the shop, (another huge metal building), cell service completely disappeared.  Nothing, nada.  I had built a complete dead-zone.  (Which may be either a bug or a feature.).  We decided that it was more of a problem than a feature, mainly because we spend time out there, and if we're entertaining, it's helpful if guests can call while we're prepping if someone needs directions.

We also noticed that guests with AT&T service had good reception while inside the building.  So, yesterday, Belle and I went over to the AT&T store and switched providers.  Bought new phones.  Added a line for Zach, because a high-school kid needs to be able to call PawPaw when he wants us to pick him up after a game or concert. 

We still have the landline, and intend to keep it because Belle is an RN and is sometimes on call.  The landline rings in the bedroom, and it is next to her pillow.  But, we now have good cell service, and upgraded capabilities.  I still refuse to give Steve Jobs a penny, so we didn't buy his phone,

And, I doubt I'll ever use all the features on the new phone.  In a lot o ways, I'm an analog guy in a digital world.  I do have Zach to help me if there is a problem in this new, digital era.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve Jobs is dead. He don't care.