Thursday, July 19, 2018

Compasses and Cowboys

I was raised using a compass.  My first was a Silva with a Boy Scout logo on it, and it became my standard for may years.  At some point I upgraded to a a nicer Silva, simply because the lexan backing on the original was all scratched up.

Got in the Army, and used a lensatic compass.  That was the standard for young navigators, but honestly, I always kept the Silva close at hand. 

There is a spot on the driveway where I live now.  Polaris (true north, the start)  sits directly over a pine tree in my neighbors yard.  Current declination where I live in Louisiana is -0-.  That is, a properly calibrated compass in central Louisiana should point directly at the north star.

I downloaded a couple of digital compasses this morning on the new cell phone.  Neither of them points North.  Oh, they're fairly close, one is out of alignment 12 degrees east, the other is out only four (4) degrees.

I understand that the engine in the car might be skewing the magnetic field, but a compass in a device that has a high degree of reliance on Google maps should be able to point to Polaris.  If I could find that old Silva, I'd digit out and see what it says.  But,  in this day and age, I shouldn't need a binnacle with iron spheres to correct for North.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, dead on no declination. Lucky guy, ours is about 7 degrees to the right.

Speaking of compasses, I've taken to wearing one of those small brass 3/4" diameter Vietnam era aviator's kit SERE 'thateway' compasses around my neck. Really handy little item when you get turned around in the brush or mall. The Marbles neck compass is cool, but more bulky and the latest creations don't seem to stay on task very long. The Tru-Nord appears to be winner - I'm slowly working my way to budgeting for that one. But for now, the aviators compass is nice.

Thanks for the post - have a great weekend.