Saturday, April 21, 2018

The Model P

The Model P was a firearm that was both iconic, and a continuation of continuing design.  Also known at the Single Action Army, or the Peacemaker, it is the iconic firearm of the cowboy westerns. 

Colt still makes them, if you have $2 grand to drop and are willing to wait a year or so.

There is another alternative, though.  As the story goes, the president of Cimarron Firearms happened to have a first-generation Colt in his collection, and sent it to Uberti to be copied.  His was the later manufacturing change, and has the cross-bolt latch for the base pin, instead of the screw for retaining the base pin.  We call these the pre-war model.

This clone is supposed to be very, very close to the original.  Colt parts are supposed to fit it, although that remains to be seen.

Grabaagun.com has them in their stock room, so as I have not yet bought my annual BAG Day gun, I put one on order.  It should be at the FFL in a week or so, and I'll highlight it here when I can handle it.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

I'll be interested to see what you think of the fit/finish... I've heard good and bad about Cimarron...