Wednesday, April 01, 2015

That Brass

Having decided that Staline made the brass cases for CFDA, I emailed Starline on their contact page.  In just a couple of hours, I received a reply.  A nice lady named Debbie Beischer replied, telling me: "Sorry we make these cases for the CFDA exclusively."  Oh, well, I had to ask.  If they've got an exclusive contract with CFDA, I'll have to find a work-around.

As it turns out, my metal-working son took an example piece of CFDA brass to work and after a few basic measurements, modified some .44 magnum brass to take shotgun primers.  He tells me that with a 1/4 inch drill bit and a 5/16 end mill, we should be able to manufacture that primer pocket (and have it look good) on a common drill press.

A carbide end mill cost less than $30.00, and it's a one-time purchase.  It should amortize quickly and last almost forever.  We're cutting soft brass, after all.

This may take a little more research, but I've begun pondering mightily on the problem, and a plan is beginning to gel.

1 comment:

Old Grafton said...

Have your son find a local toolgrinding shop and get a center-drill reground to the contour of your primer pocket. One tool, both jobs. A tool-steel centerdrill will last about forever cutting brass, too. A pair of oak blocks with several case-sized holes, 1/2 hole in each, with coil springs to separate 'em when you open the vise jaws and you're ready for mass production.