Friday, December 05, 2014

It's About Over - In More Ways Than One

The election season is about over for this cycle, and I'll be glad to see it gone.  We've been getting lots of calls at the house from political pollsters, and they're about to drive me ragged.  The only poll that matters is the one that Louisiana participates in tomorrow morning, when we actually go to the polls.

You would think that with only two days left before the election, the pollsters would take a minute to breathe, but the breathless calls I've been getting are not seeming to let up.  I probably won't answer the phone tonight, unless I recognize the number.

Several hotly contested races on my sample ballot, from the Senate lollalooza, all the way to local races as minor as our local Justice of the Peace.  (Just exactly what does a JP do, anyway?).  Still, we've got to let our preferences be known and I'll be glad when it's over.

It seems that the national media has finally come to Louisiana, not to praise Mary, but to bury her.


A US Senate seat hangs in the balance, with a Democratic incumbent desperately needing some reason for hope, and the national media that normally might have circled the wagons has either ignored the race altogether, or are circling the all-but-certain corpse of Mary Landrieu’s career. The media that have finally made the trek to Louisiana for the runoff election tomorrow come as pallbearers to the funeral.
I don't feel especially bad for Mary, she can go to work in January working in John Breaux's office.  Breaux was a senator from Louisiana, who decided to leave while he could and start a lobbying firm.  From all indications, he's doing well, and I'm sure that he'll make room for another ex-senator from his home state.

But, it ain't over till it's over, and we've got to go to the polls tomorrow.  For myself, I intend to be there before noon.

No comments: