Saturday, December 12, 2009

Rainy Saturday

I awoke this morning to rain. A steady, even, small-drop rain that soaks everything. I had good intentions of going to the lease and watching a deer that I'd like to convert to venison, but she's in the pine thickets this morning, hunkered down, trying to stay dry.

I guess I'm not dedicated enough, or I've spent enough unproductive hours in a deer stand, or I'm simply not mad at the deer. So, I'm home, unproductive. I have my blue jeans and a cup of coffee and I'm surfing the intertubes. I'm not even particularly upset with our President this week.

I really need to get out on my bench and work on ammo. I have a big pile of empty cases need filling. Then there's the new (to me) .308 I am going to have to work up loads for. There's lots of things I could be doing on a rainy Saturday morning, but I'm not in the mood for any of them.

But, I will give you a picture of the new .308. It's a Handi Rifle. That gizmo on the barrel is a De-Resonator and it came with the gun. It's since been removed and tossed in the odd-parts bin. I don't know what I'm going to do with this rifle, but I know I got a heck of a deal on it and the grandkids are getting older.



When Acidman was alive, he told me that a blogger should post something every day. This post is following his advice.

**UPDATE** I just got a call from my sister-in-law. She and hubby decided to go hunting this morning and went to something we call the Switcher Road stand. The rain stopped briefly at 7:15 and at 7:30 a venison doe walked out. She shot it with her .260 Remington and they were back home by 9:00.

Ya can't kill deer unless you're in the woods with them.

6 comments:

J said...

There are no unproductive hours in a deer stand. Just relax and watch Nature come alive around you. However, this morning I decided not to watch Nature come alive in the rain.....

Paul said...

I had all the best intentions to go squirrel hunting today, and fix the pool pump, and tune up the Jeep. Rain... maybe tomorrow.

Rivrdog said...

Jeebus, PawPaw, I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a call from a buddy with that same story: "I just went for a drive up XXX Crik Road through the BLM land and this four-point walked out, then just stood in the clearing while I got my gun out."

Yep, true story. Just like fishin', ya gots to put in yer time.

I also have a HUGE mess of cleaned, empty brass (in about 5 calibers), a HUGE stock of boolits for all those calibers, and even primers and powders sufficient to load same. I have NO excuse for not having boxes of shiny new ammo in MY locker, either.

We're just ending our week-long Arctic outbreak here, snow forecast but none seen yet. Sposed to warm up this next week, and I'll be able to work in the shop without dressing like an Eskimo or running open-flame heat. Yep, time to put in the time at the press.

Old NFO said...

Oh well, there is always tomorrow :-)

skipelec said...

Been shootin' .308 for a long time.
My Savage likes 168gr Berger HPBT on top of 43gr of Varget. YMMV
Yep, just stopped raining here in Kalifonica. Got a lot of brass filled.

Flintlock Tom said...

I can understand the utility of a "de-resonator" on a semi-auto, but, on a single-shot?
Am I missing something?