Monday, February 02, 2009

Well, poot. Again.

I wear a Kimber 1911 every day for duty wear. A couple of years ago I ordered some custom grips from GunGrips.net. They're a white polymer and have my badge and initials engraved in them. I think they look good on the pistol.



This is my duty pistol. I carry it every day and it's exposed to all the dangers that come from hanging off my belt. It rides in a Safariland Model 6280 holster. As I walk through doors and get in and out of cars, it gets banged around. I try to shield it as much as possible, but it gets its share of knocks.

Today after lunch, I reached down to adjust my belt and felt a sharp edge where there shouldn't have been a sharp edge. I got to my office and looked at the pistol. Damn! The right side grip panel was broken. I don't know when it happened, or how. I know that it felt all right when I put it in my holster this morning, and I don't remember hitting anything, but the grip panel is broken.

Just damn.

So, this afternon when I got home, I attached the stock double-diamonds that came with the pistol. For some reason, I've never particularly liked those grips. They're laminate and they have that big Kimber logo. I think it's the logo I don't like.



Last July, we got a new Sheriff who changed badges for all the deputies. So, the grips I broke were dated. Now I've got to decide if I want to buy a new grip with the new badge, get a set of double-diamonds without that Kimber logo, or just wear the stock grips.

Whaddya think?

6 comments:

Pappy said...

PawPaw,
Whatever your dream grips are, go ahead and get them now. You are at that point in life where it's time to occasionally do something nice for you. I believe you are the type who is always doing for others. Do something nice for you.

Anonymous said...

What would Elmer do?

As for J, I like the ivory grips you broke. They're kinda John Wesley Hardinish. They're also what Wild Bill Hickock would do. G.S. Patton, too.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Now I see proof positive that you are a curmudgeon! How many other deputies at the SO carry a 1911 in Conditon One?

I say go ahead and replace with the same grips, if you can still get them.

Termite

skipelec said...

I put some nice horn grips on my Gold Match. Handmade in Saigon, $55.00.
Get a lotta compliments.

Anonymous said...

I'd go with checkered walnut. Plain & simple.

Rivrdog said...

The CocoBolo grips look nice, and take a deep checker, which makes them just the ticket for LEO's, who, likely as not, are going to have to fire multiple rounds.