Saturday, February 14, 2009

Long Distance Family

My youngest son and his wife live in St. Augustine, FL, where she has her dream job. She likes playing in the dirt, digging for old things and trying to make sense of them. She's an archaeologist with the appropriate credentials and works for the City of St. Augustine, the oldest continuous European settlement on the continent.

Therefore, like most grandparents these days, we have to content ourselves with pictures of the grandkid. I consider myself unbelievably lucky that four of my five grandchildren live within three miles of my house. The fact that this blog is called PawPaw's House is a reflection that the most important people of this world call me PawPaw.

However, we have clan in St. Augustine and my DIL has a blog entitled Rediscovering La Florida, where she talks about her work, and from time to time posts pics of the grandkid so that I might watch him grow. She posts four pics this week and I've shamelessly stolen two for family here. You can, of course, click them to make them bigger.

The first is a gratuitous getting-dressed shot.



The second is a beach-bum shot. We should all be so lucky as to be beach bums.



If you have any interest in practical archaeology at all, go over and give her blog a read. This week, she talks about digging up a dog skeleton from grounds associated with an early 20th century hospital. Good stuff.

3 comments:

Pappy said...

I'm almost as lucky as you. This fall I was able to move my (only child) daughter, my only grandchild and my (now) son in law back to my hometown. I now get to see them 4-5 times a week and am loving it.

Old NFO said...

Nice- I'm 2800 miles from both daughters and my sole grandchild... sigh...

oyster said...

Very cute!

Hey, I grew up just down the road in Ormond Beach.