Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Smith and Wesson Model 30-1

 Some husbands buy flowers, but Belle loves revolvers in .32 caliber.  

Yesterday, cruising around my Merchant of Death (tm), I happened to see a little Smith and Wesson Model 30,-1 in .32 SW Long.  The Smith and Wesson Model 30 was produced from 1903 until 1976.  I have not yet been able to nail down a birth date for this particular little revolver, but the warranty card inside the box is dated April, 1953.  I know that the I-frame Model 30 was discontunued aat some point in favor of the J-frame Model 30-1, but I also know that they overlapped for a while.  At this point, 1953 is a pretty good bet, which makes this revolver 67 years old.


Looks nice, doesn't it?  Here's a shot of the model number, under the crane.

She hasn't seen it yet.  I bet she will be pleased.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

S&W didn't start using model numbers until 1957. That's a -1 so second version, maybe early 60s?

Anonymous said...

Also noticed the grips. If those are original, they changed from the ones with a diamond around the screw hole in 1967, so maybe after that.

Anonymous said...

That’s a beauty! Well done! I’m sure she will be quite happy with it.

pjk said...

According to the S&W Standard Catalog, the - began production in - they began J-frame production at serial number 712954. Any time prior to 1957, it would have been known as the .32 Hand Ejector.

pjk said...

Sorry, my number lock was off - the 30-1 began production in 1961.