Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Fixing Feeders

For several years now, I've been using an American Hunter feeder. It's a big ole drum type feeder and it has served me well. Until this year. I went out to the lease to recover my feeder in the spring and learned that racoons had pulled the motor and battery case off of the thing. Well, damn.

I happened to be at the auction several weeks ago and on the block was a Moultrie Hanging feeder. I picked it up for about $20.00 and decided to mate the brand-new Moultrie feeder motor to the barrel on my American Hunter. I'm awaiting Milady so that I can stick my head into the barrel to tighten the mounting nuts while she holds the bolt. I can't for the life of me figure out how to be in the drum to turn the nut while I'm also outside the drum holding the screw. If I had one arm that was six feet long, with two elbows, it wouldn't be a problem.

One feeder that I've used a lot, and I like a lot is the little Moultrie collapsible feeder. The MSRP is $49.99, but you can find it on sale a lot cheaper. I'm going to keep an eye open for them this winter and if I find them cheap I'm going to buy a couple as back-up feeders. What I like about this little feeder particularly is that it's easy to store, it's almost bullet-proof and it runs on four AA batteries. One set of good AA batteries will keep it spinning twice a day for an entire season. I bought a couple of them several years ago when Simmons Sporting Goods ran them on sale for $19.95 and if they run them on sale again, I'm going to buy several.

I want to start feeding this weekend. It's time to get the feeders out and start taking pictures of the deer.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Heh... yeah, 'some' assembly required, and three men and a small boy needed to hold all the fittings... Those little Moultries are NICE too!

Gerry N. said...

If I had one and put it in the woods, I'd be doin' ten in the state hoosegow.

good luck hunting.

Anonymous said...

When I had a lease and was using feeders I did not have much luck with Moultries. Maybe they have improved.

Raccoons can screw up an anvil I think.

Ben

Anonymous said...

We mounted our motor with the bolt head located inside the barrel. Used a carrage bolt so it would not spin. Also mounted a wire cage around the motor and battery case to keep the racoons from getting to that area.

Grady