Sunday, August 07, 2011

Names

My buddy over at Mostly Cajun has a regular feature he calls The Name Game. I read it regularly for laughs. In this wild, weird world we inhabit, I decided a long time ago to adopt police work as a way to make a living and I've come in contact with some truly weird names.

Our local newspaper, which I call the Daily Wipe, has a feature this morning about the weird and sometimes hateful way in which some persons name their children.

I've run into most of those names during my career and wondered what the parent was thinking when they talked with the doctor. I've dealt with people named Demon, Lemonjello, Orangejello, Syphillis, and Gonorrhea.

We have a rather unique name that shows up in our family generationally, Lathop, based on the last name of an early American descendant. We carry that name forward proudly, most often as a middle name

What were they thinking? I don't want to know what someone is thinking when they name their child Timberrattler.

1 comment:

Rivrdog said...

You haven't got it bad. My Godfather's name was George Hogshire, but he wouldn't let my Dad name me that, so instead, he used his middle name, and Hell, "The Boy named Sue" hadn't even been written yet.