Friday, August 05, 2011

Motor Parts

I was running errands today and started thinking about that Savage extractor I had ordered. All I needed was a 1/8 steel bearing, so I decided to go to Motor Parts and Bearings, a locally-owned commpany in Alexandria, LA to see if they could help.

I used to go to Motor Parts with my grandad. It's an old building on Rapides Avenue, in Alexandria, in what used to be the industrial part of town. I admit that I hadn't been there in 30 years, but found the place right there on Rapides Avenue where it was when I was a kid.

I walked in and told the lady at the counter that I needed a 1/8 steel bearing. She turned and walked to the shelves, poured something in her hand, and came back. "Is this what you need?"

"Ma'am", I replied, "I'm really not sure. The specs call for a 1/8th steel ball."

She picked up a micrometer and measured the ball at 0.125. "Looks like an eighth to me." She dropped four of them on a piece of tape and folded the tape over on itself. "Those are chromium bearings. You should be fine."

"What do I owe you?"

"It's not worth writing up, son. Come back and see us when you need something."

I came home, took the bolt to my bench and inspected the extractor thoroughly. No chips or wear spots. I put a brush on the bolt face, cleaned the slots thoroughly, then installed the spring, set a bearing on it and slid the extractor into place. Easy-Peasy. Installed the bolt in the rifle and tried it with some dummy cartridges. Everything seems to work fine.

My parts from Savage will be in next week. I'll add the bearings to the envelope and put the whole shebang away as spare parts.

If you're ever in town and need a bearing, swing by Motor Parts. They're good people.

3 comments:

Bob@thenest said...

And that's why they're still in business after thirty years plus. They know when to charge and when to pay for good PR with 4 little bearings. I remember places like that, but haven't seen much of them in a long time.

Old NFO said...

Yep, GOOD places like that are few and far between today... sigh. Glad you got the rifle back up and working!

Barrett said...

The little old lady behind the counter and her son KNOW their inventory. I have been in there several times and when I asked either of them for something, they don't look in a book or on the computer, they simply walk to the shelf and hand me a part. And they haven't been wrong about any of the parts that I've gotten from them!