Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Divorce Rings

Yeah, right. It's supposed to be a new fad.
We get that this is supposed to be an empowering thing, and maybe some women will be so excited and releaved to be free from their exes they'll be psyched to have a piece of jewelry representing their split.
Okay, we get it that women buy jewelry. It's as natural as guys buying... well, it's natural.

Divorce isn't something to be proud of. When I got my divorce I felt a number of emotions. Relief, sadness, failure. A well-meaning friend gave me a Christmas tree ornament that symbolized a new beginning. I threw it in the trash.

Still, a ring to symbolize failure? Yeah, that's empowering. However, when I was single and looked down the bar to see a woman with a ring on her left hand ring finger, I considered her off limits. Verboten. Not happening. If we fell into conversation later and she told me that the ring was a divorce ring, I'd write her off as some kind of loon.

6 comments:

Old NFO said...

I'd tend to agree... "pride" in a divorce is not (in my opinion) a good thing...

Rivrdog said...

More culture-busting. I, too, consider my failed first marriage a personal failure, and don't advertize it. I don't tell "ex" stories and jokes and I avoid all contact with her.

What's over, is over.

The whole idea of a divorce ring seems to be aimed at ramping up sympathy for the wearer. If you need sympathy, I'll tell you where to find it: in the dictionary between "sucker" and "syphilis".

Flintlock Tom said...

Huh? Never heard of this.
Sounds like just one more symptom of the Right/Wrong, Good/Bad inversion that's plaguing our society nowadays.

Termite said...

Sounds like some jewelry company's cheap marketing ploy, in very poor taste.

PawPaw said: when I was single and looked down the bar to see a woman with a ring on her left hand ring finger, I considered her off limits. Verboten. Not happening.

Amen, preach it brother.

I detest men(and women) who knowing go after married people. They are poachers.
Yeah, I know it takes two to tango. Still, there's NO excuse. A wedding ring on a person's hand is like a posted sign. It says: "Private property, no trespassing."

Bob@thenest said...

Recognition for failure? Well, remember, many parents are upset, to the point of not letting their children participate, if the losers in sports and other endeavors don't get medals, too.

I suppose the PC thing to say would be "non-winners" rather than losers, but I suspect even "non-winner" would be too severe for some.

Celebrate failure? Oh, hell yes. It's all around. But it's not for me.

Robert said...

Jeezus. People will try to make a buck no matter what.