Saturday, April 07, 2007

Vacation Day One

Nothing much to report. We spent yesterday on the road, covering some 650 miles. We spent the night somewhere west of Lake City, FL. Today is more of the same, except we hit I75 and head south.

It's been a long long time since I've been to this part of the US. I didn't remember that north Florida had hills. I'm logged on thanks to the wireless internet at Days Inn. Wireless internet still amazes me. I understand it in principle, but the actual application has me amazed.

There's nothing like a road trip to see America, although seeing it from an Interstate Highway perspective leaves something to be desired. Still, we're traveling to a destination. On this journey, the destination is important.

On the best trips I've ever taken, the destination wasn't important. It was a guide, a marker, a signpost. The give-and-take of the road was the destination. If there was something interesting, you stopped. If there was nothing happening, you moved on. If something caught your eye, you tarried for awhile. Those are great trips.

Today, though, we have an appointment in Pompano Beach, Florida. It's about 450 miles from where I sit right now. I'd best get my butt in gear.

No comments: