Thursday, April 19, 2007

The price of the Toys.

Some used to say that the only difference between men and boys was the price of the toys.

I used to say that HD stood for Hundred Dollars, rather than Harley Davidson. It seemed like every thing that went wrong with the motorcycle cost $100.00.

Drive a tractor? Any competent tractor mechanic can set you back $500.00 just cleaning his fingernails.

My buddy Rivrdog has boat troubles. Something about a commode not flushing. Personally, I'd be tempted to drop overboard with a short section of coat-hanger and a flashlight and see if I couldn't get that sea-cock cleared, but I'm just that kind of guy. Course, Rivrdog lives way up in the frozen North, so the rivers might not be warm enough to swim.

Anyay, he claims that BOAT means Bring Out Another Thousand. Go yonder and commiserate with him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It cost me an average of $100 every time I locked the hubs of my Jeep. Jeeps are strange vehicles in that the more beer the driver drinks, the better the Jeep goes through mud. . . .

Anonymous said...

"A boat: A hole in the water, lined with wood, into which you pour money."

Been there, done that.

Anonymous said...

Flintlock Tom,
My father, who had a owned many boats before he got married(and two after), had that particular bit of prose on a sign in the basement staircase...

All of the "big boys toys" are of a nature that if you're not mechanically inclined, and willing to roll up your sleeves, it is going to cost you some serious money.

Anonymous said...

whats that saying? a mans 2 happiest days are thay day he buys his boat and the day he sells it. or something to that effect.

Rivrdog said...

I tested the other two unused seacocks down in the engine bilge, and both of them are fine, so I think I will put more hose in to get to the closest one, and the flushing problem is fixed. That still leaves the blocked seacock, but having it plugged off (with a length of double-clamped hose on it) doesn't bother me, and I'll wait until I can get a better deal at the yard. Their prices vary hugely depending on whether they have work or not.

When the spring yard rush is over, they will start advertising for serious deals on bottom paint and haulouts, then I will be there, but save several hundred bucks.

That savings will go into the gas tank, of course.

(aka Rivrdog)