Saturday, April 14, 2007

Side Trip

One of the side trips we made this week, the last, the most interesting, and in some ways, the most expensive, was at the Old South Winery, in Natchez, MS.



The Old South Winery is a small (read: tiny) winery that produces wines from the Southern variety of wild grapes called muscadines. Inside the winery, there is a long counter where customers can sample wines before buying. We sampled several varieties while talking to the proprietor. It seems that the winery is licenced as a producer, but is not licenced to sell wine by the drink. It ain't a bar. They can give away a drink of wine, but they can't sell it.

The Winery has a bare-bones web presence. I did manage to find their Wine Guide online. They gave Milady a couple of drinks and she decided on her wine list. We walked away from there with a case of wine. The Miss Scarlett variety is my personal favorite.

If you like good country wine, the Old South Winery has some you probably haven't tasted. I can't find an order form online, but I bet they'd ship it UPS. All their wines are in the $8.00-9.00 range.

4 comments:

ginger said...

Please ask *before* "stealing" (as you put it) pictures...I most definitely would have told you it was fine, but please always ask first. Thanks.

Pawpaw said...

Naah, I don't think so. Using that picture was what we call "fair use" in the trade. I didn't make any money from it and I attributed it.

So, I took the picture down, and the attribution. Done.

Anonymous said...

You handled that one perfectly, Pawpaw.

ginger said...

That's fair - thanks!