Thursday, September 01, 2005

Federal Drinking Age.

I was surfing around this morning and went over to Say Uncle, who lead me to TheAgitator.com. The link is to an article about lowering the drinking age.

I was in the generation that got the general age of majority lowered from 21 to 18. Yeah, it was the end of the hippy-dippy sixties and we were marching for anything at the drop of a hat. But, one of our great successes was getting the age of majority lowered, so that we could enter into contracts, buy property, vote, and buy a drink.

When we got the age lowered, all the benefits of adulthood came with it. One day you were a 17-year-old juvenile, the next day you were an adult.

Since then, I have noticed a steady erosion of the age of adulthood. The most egrerious example is that the Federal Gummint holds the booze hostage. If your state doesn't raise the drinking age to 21, then your state stands to lose Federal Highway Funds.

Frankly, if I were an eighteen-year-old, I would be hammering hard on my Congresscritters, and starting organizations that would highlight the loss of privelige to persons who are adults, but can't fully partake of adult life.

But, it seems that the 18 to 20 year old people today don't care about such things. What a friggin shame.

No comments: