Wednesday, September 21, 2005

870 Update

I went to Ace Hardware looking for paint remover and found a can of stuff there. It is an aerosol gel. Don't get it on your car, or your skin, or your wall boards. It is toxic and caustic, and it'll peel paint like nothing you have ever seen. The paint on the forearm and stock of my 870 had been there a few years, and the guy that painted it, used multiple coats. No problem.

With two applications, the wood on that shotgun was clean. I did go through a lot of shop rags, though. The instructions on the can said to flush the cleaned surface with water, so I did that. The water feathered the stock, which I took off with a piece of 220 grit Wet or Dry sandpaper. I followed up with two coats of boiled linseed oil, and reassembled the shotgun. It is under the seat of the truck now with 5 rounds in the butt cuff and four rounds in the magazine tube.

I am good to go.

I was thinking about slugs, and picked up a couple of 5-packs last week. The Remington basic slug is one ounce of lead, traveling at 1500 fps. Fairly devastating. I'm going to try some slug shooting and see how accurate they are out of a smoothbore barrel. I'll be reporting on the project at The Frugal Outdoorsmman.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You accept center-fire stuff at The Frugal Outdoorsman? I might have some content that I'd be willing to post there and simultaneously over here at Standard Mischief.

My buddy has a "stock juice" recipe I might be able to pry out if his warm alive hands.

Good news on the 870.

Anonymous said...

oops. found it.

http://www.castbullet.com/guide.htm

Pawpaw said...

Standard. I see you found the writers guidelines. Good. No, normally we don't talk about bolt rifles or scopes, or things like that. However.

I recently bought a Savage Model 10 in .243 and I am working up loads for it now. (Right now, as I type this, I have brass shavings on my hands from prepping brass.)

I intend to post an article on the Savage Mod 10, because it is inexpensive, has an absolutely revolutionary trigger, and is not in a magnum caliber. It is a rifle that is inexpensive enough to get serious consideration from someone on a budget, and I happen to think it is the best bolt action rifle made today.

I also intend to do an article about slugs and buckshot because a lot of folks have shotguns in their closets that haven't been used in fifteen or twenty years. If I can motivate those people to get out in the woods with that shotgun, I have another convert to the woods.

Thanks for reading the Frugal Outdoorsman. And feel free to submit inquiries about articles you might like to write. We need writers. I will caution you that you have to get any article past Junior, our publisher. He rules with an iron fist, and sometimes I have trouble getting articles past him.