Saturday, October 19, 2024

Gumbo Weather

 If this cool snap has done nothing else, it has certainly lifted our spirits from the doldrums of the summer. I went to the grocers this morning, and ran into three people who were making preparations to make a gumbo.  Which is exactly what I was doing.

When the weather gets cool, folks all over Louisiana get a twitch, a compulsion, to make gumbo.  I have a small whole fryer and four leg quarters in the pot, along with a stick of butter, four bullion cubes, with salt and pepper, starting to make the stock I'll need.  I have cut up three pounds of good sausage and have chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery to add to the mix.

When the chicken gets fall-off-the-bone tender, I'll dredge it from the pot and set it aside to cool.  After lunch, I'll gather my implements and make a big roux.  After the gumbo is assembled, I'll let it cool and put it in the fridge.  I have called some friends, and after church tomorrow, I'll put it back on the stove to heat, and make a pot of rice.

The basic recipe is here.

No comments: