Saturday, November 25, 2023

Divestiture

 I've sold two rifles in my lifetime and regretted selling both of them.  One, an Argentine Mauser in 7x57 that I couldn't make shoot.  I couldn't keep that rifle on a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 50 yards.  The second, a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 that shot like a laser beam out to 300 yards. I lost those rifles in the aftermath of a divorce and regretted losing them more than I regretted losing the woman.

When I was writing for The Frugal Outdoorsman, I bought a few rifles. I'm a sucker for an oddball or an antique.  If it goes BOOM, it intrigues me. And over the years I've passed them along.  Mainly to family.  Each of my sons have rifles that I bought, and used, and played with.  Levers, bolts, and single shots, I've passed them along.  Each of my grandsons has a rifle I played with.  Except the youngest one, who is coming of age.

In 1997, Remington introduced the 260 Remington, a standardized 6.5-08, that has seen some limited success. It uses a 1:9 twist, which stabilizes 140 grain bullets. My sister-in-law shoots one and she picks her shots. She shoots deer in the neck, she doesn't like to track deer.

In 2007, Hornady introduced the 6.5 Creedmoor, a very successful long range hunting cartridge.  It has proven itself both on the target range and on the game fields. It was introduced with a 1:8 twist to take advantage of those lovely sleek bullets.  No one can argue that the 6.5 Creedmoor has been less than a stellar success.

So, the 6.5 bullet is proving itself in these newer cartridges, but lots of people forget about the European grandfather.  In 1894, Sweden adopted the new, high speed, 6.5z55 cartridge. It is standardized with a 1:866 twist, which should allow those sleek 140 bullets. Its speed is limited by old metallurgy, but those published recipes are within 100 fps of the newer Creedmoor.  It has a long reputation as a game cartridge in Europe, even taking moose.

All that having been said, yesterday I walked into my local gun shop and saw a weird Mauser in 6.5x55.  The barrel is marked Sporting Arms, Clackamore, OR  6.5x55.


I started Googling and found a thread on The Firing Line.  Evidently, these are Turk mausers that were imported in the 60s or 70s.  But, it's a Mauser 98, which is a known item.  Various firms have been making them for 120 years.  It has the absolute cheapest rings and scope that can be put on a rifle, so those will go away.  We'll get some good glass and some good rings, and see how it shoots.

If it can put the bullets on the plate, it may become the youngest grandkid's gun.  If it can't, I have a project Mauser.  I've always wanted another one in 7x57.

7 comments:

Old NFO said...

Nice find!

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

If I may be so bold as to suggest that you tell your grandchild who receives the gift that once they demonstrate proficiency with the military trigger that you will finance an upgrade to a Timney or similar.

A shooter who learns to hit the bullseye or silhouette with a crappy trigger is friggin awesome with a great trigger but not vice versa.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this Clackamore Mauser rifle. A Mauser that is based on '98 is a great action.

I hope it performs better than your expectations.Your Grandson is a lucky guy.

Anonymous said...

Standard chambering for Argentine Mauser was 7.65x53. Not sure if a 7x57 round would chamber or shoot ,but it might explain why it would not group.

commoncents said...

Moment Israeli child hostage reunited with his father after release from Hamas - VIDEO
https://commoncts.blogspot.com/2023/11/moment-israeli-child-hostage-reunited.html

ps. could you please add CC to your blogroll? thanks!

Termite said...

Standard clambering for Argentine Mauser was 7.65x53.
Ballistically the 7.65x53 Mauser round was approx the same as a 7.62x51/.308 Winchester.

D,
If it shoots good, it is all the deer rifle your grandson will ever need. I have 6.5x55 ammo if you need some.

Anonymous said...

Check the bedding and stock bolt tightness.
But you knew that.