Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Uberti's Answer to the Transfer Bar

One of the design bugs of the old Colt SAA is that it is basically unsafe to carry with six rounds in the chamber.  For us old aficionados, we always carried five, with the hammer down on an empty chamber.  To carry any other way was to risk and accidental discharge if the hammer was struck, as the firing pin was mounted to the hammer.  We've known about this problem since 1873.

Ruger got around this problem with the transfer bar, and they've been very successful in the trade, but even with my Rugers, I always carried five (Load one, skip one, load four.)  It's an old habit.

Because we live in a litigious society, gun makers are all about saafety.  So, Uberti realized that they had a problem ad set about to fix it, while keeping the gun looking authentic.  Their solution was a floating firing pin that is only able to reach the primer when the trigger is held firmly to the rear.

My current favorite CFDA gun is a Cimoarron Model P, made by Uberti.  I bought it last year.  I noticed, out o the box that it didn't have a safety click on the hammer.  It's basically a 3-click Colt clone.  But I didn't think anything about it until I started a thread on Facebook about it.  Then I went digging through YouTube until I found this video.



That explains it.  And, I'm going to leave that video right here so that I can find it later.  It might come in handy the next time my gun is inspected at an equipment check.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Interesting. I've never owed a Uberti, so had no idea. I don't own any Rugers either.

Bradley said...

I always wondered how they did that, very cool bit of engineering around that problem.

Wait how does one not own any Rugers, that does not compute.....