Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Arrive'!

We have arrived in the thriving metropolis of Beaver Dam, KY.  The trip up was uneventful, if you call being dead-stopped in the middle of I-40 a non-event.  And, of course, when we came trough Nashville at 5:00 it was gridlocked for about 30 miles.

We're currently ensconced in the Beaver Dam Inn, the only hotel in the  metroplex.  There is both a Denny's and a Wendy's in the parking lot, so we're good for restaurants.  We stayed here last year for Kentucky State, and it's a nice little roadside inn.  Nothing fancy; clean sheets and a friendly staff.

More later.  I'm going to have a sip of bourbon, and surf the intertubes for a bit.  The shoot starts tomorrow, and we'll take pictures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trashville at 5:00 is always gridlocked on weekdays, & often on weekends. Up until last year, I did a lot of onsites, & I always seemed to get home at the worst traffic times of the day. If I'd known you were coming through, I could've given you some routes around it. If you like, I can do so for the trip back.
--Tennessee Budd

Anonymous said...

Just a quick tip:
When coming down I-65, take I-24 west (toward Clarksville/Ft. Campbell), & the first/second exit on it to Briley Parkway (SR 155) WEST (first exit, second branch of it). That'll take you to I-40 westbound, if that's how you're going.
If you're bound for I-65S, toward Alabama, take Briley to I-40 eastbound, then get on I-440 South. It'll carry you around to I-65.
Either way avoids the middle of town.
--TB

johnwatts said...

I live in Huntsville, AL, and I avoid Nashville like the plague. When I head north, I try to hit Nashville no later than 6 AM. Coming back, I find something to occupy myself till at least 6 PM before i make the trek.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Watts, I avoid it as well, as much as possible. I tell folks that I don't go there unless I'm being paid to, & it's true: the only times I'm there, it's work-related, either for pickup/delivery or going to/from an onsite.
PawPaw, I just realized I forgot an exit--instead of taking I-24, you can get on Briley at Dickerson Road exit (exit 90, I think). The directions I gave are valid, I just forgot that they finally connected Briley at Dickerson.
If you're not completely worn to a frazzle, & are interested, LST-325 is in Clarksville this week (her home port is Evansville, IN). She's the last touring LST. I went aboard today & quite enjoyed the tour.
--Tennessee Budd