Wednesday, January 13, 2016

State of the Union

The State of the Union address is a Constitutional Duty of the President.  Required by Article 2, Section 3, it states in part:
He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient;
If I were the President, I'd give the SOTU address on a random Thursday afternoon.  With very little prior warning, probably just after lunch, I'd have my staff call Congress and tell them to all get together, I'd be over in an hour or so.  Then, I'd go to the Capitol and give a rambling address, much like a Ron White stand-up routine.  Complete with a cigar and a tumbler of good whiskey.

I'd probably roast the Speaker and the Majority leader a little bit, Try for a laugh.  I'd tell them that the Union is fine and we're going to be okay, but ....   That would be a SOTU to watch.  It would last about as long as a good stand-up, then we'd retire to the bar and get just a little bit snockered.  I'm fairly sure that I could find someone to drive me back down to the White House.

The last ten or twelve SOTUs have been dreary affairs.  Maybe it's time to try something different.

3 comments:

North Texan said...

I'm not 100% decided yet, but something different is why I'm interested in Trump. Both the dems and the RINOs hate him and that is worth something right there. I saw a deal today where republicans are pissed because they have thrown millions of dollars to PACs against Trump, who has ran a fairly cheap campaign by comparison, and they are getting beat. The article went on to say maybe PACs need to be reconsidered. I'd call that a win in itself. Now on to lobbyists next!!

Rivrdog said...

Since the (D)emogogs are all for the "Living Constitution", why doesn't Mister Speaker just tell POTUS to fax it over? In this case it would have saved the (R)epublicrats the embarassment of Commissar Nikita Haleyscov's rebuttal speech, the Spanish version of which had Amnesty in it but the English version didn't (Breitbart.com).

Anonymous said...

I'm going to take a different tack...How in the world is the prez suppose to know the condition of the union? I mean, the prez is insulated and surrounded by yes men; how is he going to know what "Information of the union..." he should be giving to the congresscritters?
Especially this prez! He is surrounded by piss ant slobbering democrats that are actually holding information back. The prez isn't really getting a clear picture of the mess he's made. So how is he going to be able to recommend anything of substance for their consideration!
Steve