Thursday, January 06, 2011

Compromise

I was reading today that Steny Hoyer, a Democrat congressman from Maryland, thinks that Tea Partiers come from unhappy families. Yeah, really.
There are a whole lot of people in the Tea Party that I see in these polls who don’t want any compromise. My presumption is they have unhappy families. All of you have been in families: single-parent, two-parents, whatever. Multiple parent and a stepfather. The fact is life is about trying to reach accommodation with one another so we can move forward. That is certainly what democracy is about. So if we are going to move forward compromise is necessary
Well, Steny, it's hard to compromise with someone who is dead wrong.

The American people have been watching, and what you're doing is totally out of sync with Constitutional practices, wastes our tax money, is becoming almost confiscatory in nature, and doesn't reflect the wishes of most of America. Additionally, we're seeing the rise of a political elite, which in-and-of itself is contrary to American values. The House of Representatives belongs to the people, Mr. Hoyer, who write your paycheck.

I understand that compromise is necessary in a Republic, and we've been compromising. All it's brought us is inflation, an out of control government, an increase in the federal bureaucracy and horrifying regulation. Additionally we've seen the welfare class explode, our tax dollars squandered, and our core political beliefs mocked. That's not moving forward, Mr Hoyer, that's moving backwards.

Compromise, indeed, Mr. Hoyer. Maybe you should try it sometime? It certainly doesn't help when you insult us. That sounds like the dim-witted, sour-grapes, shortsighted example we've come to expect from Congress. And you wonder why we're in no mood to compromise? You're lucky we haven't started investing in tar and feathers.

1 comment:

Hobie said...

Dennis,

I AM unhappy. I'm unhappy with Steny Hoyer and his cronies! I'm unhappy with watching my money go to folks who can't get off their butts to work or who knowing they couldn't afford their house payments bought them anyway or who live in other countries and expect me to bail out their failed economies...

However, since the election I'm a bit happier but I'm not less cynical. I've got my eyes on those 87 freshman Republicans and if they don't do what they were elected to do (and drag the rest of the Republicans along with them), I'm going to be unhappy again and work to get rid of them.