Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Paw Shop Crawling

I found myself on a side of town I don't frequent and when I was through with errands I noticed a pawn shop across the street. I walked over.

Nothing of interest. There was a Colt Lawman in the case with a horrendously overwrought price tag on it. Someone told the guy that a Colt was worth a premium, but for that price it should have been a pristine example. I'd rate the finish on this particular piece at under 50% and it looked like it had been ridden hard and put away wet. Literally. Meh! No Handi's, no left-hand bolts, nothing that stood out from the pack.

He had the usual assortment of RemChester bolt rifles and pump shotguns aplenty. Nothing there in any interesting caliber. No quarter bores, nothing of interest. If I find myself in the market for a pump shotgun I might be hack, but his collection of bolt rifles was positively boring. And overpriced.

Likewise there were a few Glock and Taurus semi-autos but no 1911s and nothing that piqued my interest.

I politely took my leave and pointed the truck toward home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my little corner of Heaven, (Between Seattle and Everett, Wa.) I've noticed that pawn shops lend VERY minimal amounts even on fine guns. The prices of out of pawn arms on the other hand are stratospheric. One place in particular, run by an idiot has had an old, beat to scrap SMLE #1 MkIII which was "Sporterized" in the distant past on the rack for over 15 years. Price tag: $300.00. Several other more or less current production (well) used rifles and handguns are priced above new retail. I can't figure how he stays in business unless his shop is a money laundering front or something.

I'm insufficiently devious of mind to figure out how someone generates income by purposefully not selling things.

Gerry N.

Old NFO said...

Meh... same in Norfolk this afternoon... overpriced, lousy quality...