Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cedar Wax Wing

When I was a little boy, Cedar Wax Wings were a favorite of mine. They came in flocks to Louisiana in the winter and in the dreary doldrums of February provided targets for our pellet rifles. They'd come into the woodlot by the thousands and we'd go out and harass the flock.



That woodlot is now a paved parking lot, with a Logan's restaurant sitting along one side of it.

Today as I strolled under the oaks I noticed a familiar movement in the trees above and looked up to see a flock of cedar wax wings in the bare branches of a hackberry tree. I didn't try to count them, but the flock numbered several hundred, maybe a thousand birds, all going about the business of being a little bird in a wide world.

I haven't seen a flock of wax wings in years and some of my years melted away as I watched the little birds search for food. Then, of course, the radio called me to other tasks but for just a few minutes, I was 10 years old again.

Hat tip to Cornell.edu for the image.

No comments: