Thursday, May 07, 2009

Thursday afternoon

I've got pork chops in the oven, a grandson playing outside, and I've just finished spraying Round-Up on the vegetation between the paving stones. It's a typical Thursday afternoon around PawPaw's house.

Politics leaves me cold. I'm sure that the administration did something to piss me off, but I'm not going to look into it.

School was relatively peaceful today. It was the last full day for the seniors, so they were traipsing all over the place taking care of last minute items on the checklist they've got to turn in before graduation practice tomorrow morning. They graduate Monday evening. Thank God! I'll be glad to see them launched. Not that this has been a particularly trying year, to the contrary, it's been one of the quietest school years in recent memory.

Thursday is weigh-in for Weight-Watchers. I weighed in today at 245.0, down 16 lbs from when I started in late February. I'm averaging just under two pounds per week.

I carried a checkbook today because I was convinced that the gunsmith was going to call and tell me that the Savage 110 was finished. He didn't. I'm really looking forward to having that rifle back in the rack and seeing how it shoots.

1 comment:

Rivrdog said...

Need advice, and I'm betting you can give it to me, PawPaw. I want to work up a rifle for long-range plains hunting. The caliber I want to use is 300 Win Magnum, but I would settle for 7mm Magnum. I have a WIN (Post-64) M70 in .243, and love it (but .243 is too light for elk), and there are quite a few of those around in those magnum calibers, and the prices are not too bad.

Is the Savage 110 any better? Better trigger? I will probably restock the rifle into a heavier composite stock. A longer barrel is a plus.

If you were looking for such a rifle (shots to be taken at out to 500 yards), what would YOU be looking for?