Friday, May 29, 2009

Hoplophobia

Hoplophobia is the condition wherein a normally rational person has an unreasonable fear of firearms. It's a term in common use among the gun community, and I understand, the American Psychiatric Society.

Dave Kopel, in The New Ledger, describes the phobia and talks about the practical application of it in light of a recent law that will allow people to carry weapons in state national parks.

One tongue-in-cheek highlight:
If you want to fly to D.C., take a plane to the Baltimore airport, and then rent a car or take a bus. Do not fly to either of the D.C. airports. They are both located in Virginia, and the danger that you could be shot by a gun-crazy Virginian while traveling through Virginia into D.C. is nearly as high as the odds that you will get shot by a gun nut while in a National Park. Stay away from Arlington National Cemetery; it is in Virginia, and the people buried there were gun users.
Go read the article.

As an aside, I may have carried a concealed weapon in a state park this past weekend. On our stroll through the French Quarter, I may have ventured on to the grounds of the New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park. I'm not sure. I was certainly in the 400 block of Decatur street, and I noticed a guy wearing a Park Service uniform.

I was certainly armed. I'm always armed.

At any rate, I didn't hurt anyone. I didn't threaten anyone, and I continued on my way unmolested. Which was the whole point.

That said, it's Friday afternoon and I'm on my way to the range.

**Update** Edited for clarity. Thanks, Michael.

2 comments:

Michael W. said...

Hey Paw-Paw,

I think you mean NATIONAL park.

Termite said...

You being a Louisiana commissioned LEO,
I doubt the NPS would bother you after you show them your commision card and/or badge.