Friday, July 21, 2006

Katrina and Beirut

This morning as we were packing, I noticed a CNN reporter interviewing US Citizens being picked up off the beach in Beirut. No screen shots or links.

Anyway, here comes this young mother with children in tow, being loaded on a US Navy landing craft and some reporter puts a microphone in her face. And she's talking about "We're from New Orleans and we lost everthing in Katrina and now we've been evacuated twice in one year." (Not a transcript)

My wife, my lady, looks at the TV and says: "How many times do we have to rescue you before you take those kids somewhere safe?"

All I could think was "Damn! What an idiot! Is there anywhere you go, anything you do, that you don't have to listen to Katrina refugees complain?"

I am calmed knowing that the dumb broad is on her way to Cyprus, again on the government nickel.

In other news, we made it home about 1:00. Everything is safe and all is right with the world. Laundry is working and I am about to go take a nap in my own bed.

I noticed on the driveway that my grass really needs cutting.

4 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

We're all glad you made back safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

Yep, welcome home, Pawpaw. Wish you'd brought that "lass" from the previous post and dropped her off at my house.

Anonymous said...

What is it about Katrina that made everyone suddenly a Liberterian. I was in a safe, dry neighborhood too until the Corp's levees broke.
You probably should stay out of New Orleans for now. Too much to learn by seeing for yourself.
But if anyone wants to see how to do it for yourself come to New Orleans.
If you want to see where the Nanny state will take you come to New Orleans.
Or wait a few years until you can hang out in the French Quarter, get drunk with the other tourist and go home to tell the church group how decadent those New Orleans people are.

KurtP said...

The first thing that came to my mind about the Katrina victim in Lebenon was "Where did that travel money come from". The second was "Didn't she know there was a travellers advisory out about Lebenon?"