Thursday, April 20, 2006

Cooking in the afternoon

Milady is sleeping today, having worked the vampire shift last night, so I have to be quiet around the house. When she and I both work, that isn't a problem, but I am off this week, so I am trying to be extra-considerate of her sleeping schedule.

I've got the pit cranked up and a couple of chickens are on it.

They've been there about an hour and a half, and they are looking fine. I've got the temperature pegged at 200 degrees, and expect them to sit on the pit till 4:00 p.m. At about 2:30 I'm going to go out, check the fire, and add some sausage to the grill.

This ain't barbeque. I'm smoking a couple of chickens. My Lady works hard and I like to feed her before she goes to work, if that is possible. If she feels like eating, fine. If she doesn't, I'll wrap a chicken in foil and send it with her. I'll add a link of sausage for variety. Some tater salad in a small container, and she won't have to go out to the fast food joints at midnight.

She is on evenings, I am on days. One evening last month I was missing her, so I called her and asked if I could deliver supper. She told me that the shift was debating what do do about food, so bring enough for everyone. She supervises two nurses and four or five aides, so I showed up at the clinic with a stack of large pizzas.

I enjoy doing things like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did that for my dad one time. I forget what I made, but one of his co-workers asked if he could have some, too, and he was surprised that i cooked it (I'm a guy, guy's supposedly can't cook in some people's brains...)

I also took my mom a birthday cake when she was working nights. Everybody enjoyed it, and she brought home the empty platter to find a second birthday cake. Because I thought she should have some more...

It gives you a nice warm and fuzzy feeling to feed someone hungry...