Sunday, June 12, 2005

Summer projects

Life got in the way of blogging this weekend, so I decided to sit down and do a post about the summer projects that will hamper my time while I am off. I live on a small private lake and I took possession of my grandfathers boat during the spring. That project is completed, with a new transom, additional gussets, welding of cracks and re-setting rivets. The Old Man's boat is good for another twenty years, and may well be passed on to another generation before that time is over.

Tomorrow morning I start digging post holes for a privacy fence. Milady wants to put in a swimming pool next spring, and a fence to keep out the neighborhood urchins is a requirement that will not wait. I have the fence laid out and stakes placed where the posts will go. I've been actively planning this project for three weeks and it is time to get started. Tomorrow I go buy a posthole digger.

Louisiana is hot in the summertime. I don't plan to work during the heat of the day. I am, after all, a middle-aged man, and courting a heart attack doesn't seem like the way to spend a summer. Back in the day I could work in the heat all day long. During one period I would work in the office all day, then come home to my place in the country and scatter postholes around the countryside till dark. SO, during the hot hours I will work on other projects like an extension on the kitchen island that Milady wants constructed. If the price is right, I might contract that out to professionals. I think a piece of dark granite would look good. Or, the newer manufactured stone is just as pretty, just as durable, and the price might be better than granite or marble.

Anyway, my summer is shaping up nicely.

No comments: