Thursday, June 16, 2005

Days Work

No, not the chewing tobacco, although that might be another post.

I just finished the days work. I started this morning mowing the yard, so I could find my tools. Got that done about noon and went to town to pick up supplies and get a Fathers Day present for my Dad. Got home and it was raining, one of those noisy summer Louisiana thunderstorms that dump about an inch of rain then move on.

After the shower, the air outside was like walking into a wet blanket. A warm wet blanket. But, I had stuff to do, so I gathered the implements and worked on the fence for awhile. I widened eight holes, mixed the concrete and set the posts, plumbing them as I went. Then, I washed the tools to get the concrete off of them, stacked everything, and came inside.

I stink. Every stitch of clothing is saturated with sweat, and my baseball cap is drenched. It weighs about a pound. I have it hanging on milady's bakers rack to dry for the morning.

There was a gal once, in the way back timeframes of my life, who was excited by the smell of a man who had put in a hard days work. The sweatier the better. She lived in the next apartment over and I was working as a day laborer, doing whatever. One day I came in from work as she was walking past, and she followed me in the house. I took off my cap, placed it on top the refrigerator, then opened the door and asked her if she wanted a beer. She tackled me right there and we commenced to ripping buttons. Cute little brunette, as I remember, with teacup breasts. She was a liberal arts major.

Turns out, she loved the smell of a sweaty man. She didn't want to date, didn't want a relationship. All she wanted to do was come over a couple of afternoons a week after work and TRY ME ON. Suited the hell outta me, but she wouldn't let me take a shower until after she was finished. She was dating some bozo piano major, and I would see him from time to time entering or leaving her apartment. I don't know if he was doing as well with her as I was, but I damn sure didn't spend as much money on flowers as he did.

Wonder whatever happened to her? Ahh, the hell with it. I need a shower.

No comments: