Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Evaporation

 Watching Francine churn the Gulf reminds me of a story, from late in the past century.  Before I met Belle.  It was sometime around 1998 or 99.  In the little bar I frequented, there was a fellow, we'll call him Earl, who wasn't the brightest bulb on the tree, but he was a hard worker and dependable.

Earl had managed to get a job offshore as a roughneck, and he was excited about it.  Earl was excited, and a bit nervous, plumbing the patrons in the bar about what he should expect. There was a great deal of joshing and good natured banter, leading up to the day when Earl caught the crew boat.

Imagine my surprise when I came through the door two days later, and found Earl sitting at the bar.

"Earl," says I "What happened?  You quit?  Get fired?"

"No", says Earl.  "They had a sy-foon blow up, and they had to evaporate everybody off the rig."

I suspect that they are evaporating people off of rigs right now.

2 comments:

Justin_O_Guy said...

Your "Not the brightest bulb on the tree " was accurate. And maybe a bit generous,, I have a friend who requires a bit of Translation in order to have a conversation with.

BobF said...

Cameron again (still):
“The NCH stated that if a peak surge and a high tide were to occur at the same time, water levels in Cameron, Louisiana to Port Fourchon, Louisiana could rise to between five to 10 feet above ground levels. “

Their history: https://hurricanecity.com/city/cameron.htm