Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Juneteenth

 I went to the bank this morning to discover it closed, only to remember that it is June 19th, a holiday of national independence, wherein slavery was abolished in the united States.

The Emancipation Proclamation was published on January 1, 1863.  The 13th Amendment was passed in Congress on January 3, 1865 and ratified in the states on December 6, 1865.

So, where does June 19th come in?  As history records, Union Major General George Granger, on June 19, 1865, ordered that the Emancipation Proclamation be enforced in Texas.

And now you know. Juneteenth was originally a Texas holiday.  I'm just saying.

Let Freedom Ring.

2 comments:

Justin_O_Guy said...

Hmm,Emancipation Proclamation,, ( tapping chin, look at the ceiling) Hmm,, YaKnow, I never understood why That wasn't The First Thing Done, before a shot was fired, IF indeed The Reason for the war was slavery. In fact, if slavery was The Reason, I would have produced the declaration and given everyone a set amount of time, somewhere in excess of 28 seconds, to get their slaves set free. And if I didn't own any, why would I leave the farm to go fight for the right of The Guy Down the Road to own slaves, which gave him a competitive edge over me and Pa?
Hmm,Howboutthatschitt?

Old NFO said...

Logic is 'somewhat' strange on this one... Why not Jan 1 for the Lincoln speech? To me, 'that' makes more sense.